few basic tips to optimize your website for search engines
* Do not generate replicated content (within your site or replicated upon multiple sites). All good search engines are smart enough to recognize this (see previous tip).
* Get quality websites to link to you. Search engines will see this, and take notice. Do not use link exchanges, sign guestbooks with links, etc. While it doesn't penalize you (since you can't control what other websites have), it does not help you at all.
* Whatever keywords you are targeting, use them on your pages.
* For the keywords you are targeting, use them within the <TITLE> tags. Search engines look at this a lot, so this is pretty key.
* Use anchor text on links that point to your page with keywords you are targeting (both internal and external sites).
* Along the same lines as the last tip, if you have images that click to pages, use the ALT parameter within the <IMG> tag, and include whatever keywords you are targeting.
* Generally, use common sense and stay away from trying to trick search engines (cloaking tricks for example). It can get your site penalized or even banned from the search engines.
* If you don't want to do search engine optimization on your end, there are some great SEO services out there, just search Google for seo.